History

 a

a

Lloyd’s Motor Club was founded in 1951 by a group of enthusiasts working in the London insurance market, following an upsurge of interest in motoring and motor sport after the Second World War.  Membership was, and remains, available to those connected with the Lloyd’s and Company markets in the City’s insurance industry; whether broking, underwriting or providing any ancillary services, or in certain cases, for special exceptions at the discretion of the Committee.  Today, the LMC is a Company Limited by Guarantee.

 

At its peak in the 1970s and 1980s, membership ran well into four figures.  After a quiet spell in the early 1990s, numbers have once again been increasing in recent years, with an ever-expanding range of events which members and their guests can attend and participate in.  We are also very fortunate to count Sir Stirling Moss, Wing Commander Andy Green (LSR holder), Squadron Leader Nigel Rose (Battle of Britain pilot), Captain Eric Brown RN (renowned test and Naval pilot), Charles Clarke (Chairman of the Bomber Command Memorial Association) as our illustrious Honourary Members.

 

What was formerly the social highlight of the club’s year – the Dinner – is now a biennial event, much to the pleasure of those long-standing members who retain fond memories of the rather politically incorrect events of the past, which would often draw the LMC to the attention of the national motoring press!  Our last three dinners have enjoyed exceptional celebrity guests in the form of Ross Brawn, John Surtees and Damon Hill.

 

a

LMC Logo

 

(C) The Lloyd's Motor Club, Registered Office: One Lime Street, London EC3. Registered in England and Wales, Company Number 08009160